International School of Monterey
PO Box 711, Monterey, CA, 93942-0711, USA
Tel: (+1) 831 583 2165
Fax: (+1) 831 899 7653
National, US, curricula.
200 students, 5-12 yrs.
The International School of Monterey opened its doors to 56 students
in Grades K-4 in 2001 and has committed to add a grade level each
year through grade 12. In order to make global education available
to a wide potential audience, the school chose to open as a charter
school; as such, ISM is tuition-free.
The mission of the International School of Monterey is to educate
all students toward becoming conscientious, compassionate, and responsible
citizens of the world by:
- Enhancing the educational opportunities for the children of the
Monterey Peninsula and the County
- Creating a strong sense of self-motivation in all students to
discover and develop their uniqueness while striving to reach their
- Incorporating proven standards and effective practices using
a recognized and innovative international curriculum
- Generating a multicultural environment that promotes respect,
understanding and appreciation of diversity
- Building a strong partnership with home and community
- Developing the whole child including adaptability, self-confidence,
autonomy and creativity.
The International School of Monterey is employing an innovative
elementary curriculum, the International Primary Curriculum (IPC
- www.internationalprimarycurriculum.com). While the educational
approach used in ISM is based on the precepts of the IBO, the content
taught includes the curriculum specified by the curriculum standards
for the State of California.
The The International School of Monterey is aiming towards CIS
accreditation and IB authorization.